Cebu (Cebuano: Sugbo, Spanish: Cebú), is one of the provinces of the Philippines. It is located to the east of Negros island; to the west of Leyte, and Bohol islands. It is located on both sides by the straits of Bohol (between Cebu, and Bohol), and Tañon (between Cebu, and Negros). Cebu is located between 9°25'N and 11°15'N latitude, and between 123°13'E, and 124°5'E longitude in the center of the Philippine Islands.
Cebu is where the Portuguese navigator Ferdinand Magellan planted the Cross of Christianity in the name of Spain in 1521. But even before Cebu became the Occidental gateway to the Orient, it was already a popular entry point among Asian merchants.
Cebu has since blossomed into a choice tourist destination, with many leisure establishments taking full advantage of its sea-valley-and-mountain location.
Metropolitan Cebu, the country's second biggest metropolis, is the political, economic, educational and cultural center of the Visayas. Widest class of accommodations from luxurious resorts to budget hotels, shopping malls, entertainment halls, casinos and golf fairways are ever present in the metro to cater to every tourist's whim.
The rest of Cebu's 166 islands and islets are fringed with sandy beaches and sapphire-clear waters teeming with marine life, perfect for divers.
Things to do:
- See Magellan’s Cross planted in 1521 by the explorer
- Visit Fort San Pedro, the nucleus of Spanish settlement in the Philippines
- Light joss sticks and have your fortune told at the Taoist Temple
- Spot amazing bird life at the Olango Wildlife Sanctuary
- Scuba dive in the coral island of Mactan
- Pick up a guitar from the famous guitar makers in Mactan
- Enjoy an island hopping tour to see the breathtaking landscape & seascape of the region
Listing of recommended hotels and resorts:
DE LUXE, FIRST CLASS & STANDARD HOTELS:
|HILTON CEBU RESORT & SPA (De Luxe) |
Tel: (6332) 492-7777
Fax: (6332) 492-7702
EDDIE'S HERITAGE HOTEL (Standard)
GARWOOD PARK HOTEL (Standard)
VACATION HOTEL CEBU (Standard)
WEST GORORDO HOTEL (Standard)
"AAA" TO SPECIAL INTEREST RESORTS ("SIR")
CLUB KON-TIKI RESORT ("AA")
KOTA BEACH RESORT ("SIR")
MARINE VILLAGE RESORTS ("SIR")